Wellcome Trust Mentoring Program for Emerging Talent
The World Congress of Science and Factual Producers is pleased to announce its partnership with the Wellcome Trust in presenting the fourth year of the Wellcome Trust Mentoring Program for Emerging Talent. The Wellcome Trust is the most diverse biomedical research charity in the world, with over £600 million in spending every year both in the UK and internationally to support and promote research to improve the health of humans and animals.
In 2011, four UK-based individuals will participate in the Wellcome Trust Mentoring Program for Emerging Talent:
- Sarah Barker, Researcher, Windfall Films (UK)
- Kris De Meyer, Co-Producer/Science Coordinator/Interviewer, Aniku Ltd. (UK)
- Leili Farzaneh, Series Researcher, BBC 2 (UK)
- Hannah King, Researcher, BBC Lab UK (UK)
About the Program
This annual program will offer four promising science journalists, science broadcast producers, or scientists looking to break into the broadcast industry a unique opportunity to participate in the premiere event of its kind, with the additional benefits of mentoring and networking with the top executives and creative minds in the industry.
Through the creation of the exclusive Wellcome Trust Mentoring Program for Emerging Talent, emerging journalists, producers or scientists entering the broadcast industry will be offered a full scholarship program including travel, accommodation and unprecedented professional development and mentorship opportunities at the World’s leading industry event for science-focused producers and broadcasters. The fund will be awarded annually to four UK based applicants.
Each recipient will be awarded with:
- Full registration for the World Congress of Science and Factual Producers;
- Travel and accommodation bursary covering costs to attend Congress;
- Mentor pairing with a senior producer or broadcaster (Mentors will be culled from the WCSFP Board of Directors, Steering Committee and Session Producers);
- Private cocktail reception on opening day for the Wellcome Trust fellows, their mentors, Board of Directors, Steering Committee, Wellcome Trust members and other VIP guests at Congress (e.g. host broadcasters, keynote speakers);
- Additional one-on-one meetings organized between the mentee’s and registered commissioning editors.
2011 Eligibility and Guidelines
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be based in the UK;
- Be an emerging journalist, producer or scientist entering the broadcast industry;
- Established professionals in these sectors are not eligible for the bursary.
Applications for the 2011 program are no longer being accepted.