Highlights of the 2014 Conference
The 2014 World Congress of Science and Factual Producers welcomed over 400 members to Hong Kong for four days of lively and informative sessions, invaluable networking opportunities and unforgettable social events.
- 433 members from 28 countries were welcomed to Hong Kong for the 22nd annual WCSFP, from November 18 to 21, 2014.
- Leading Chinese co-production documentary company CICC participated in the Congress as the 2014 Presenting Platinum Partner.
- A total of 26 international companies sponsored the Congress, including one Presenting Platinum Partner, two Platinum Partners, one Contributing Partner, two Gold Sponsors, six Silver Sponsors, nine Bronze Sponsors and five Industry Partners.
- 90 per cent of members surveyed reported they were able to find new production partners by attending the Congress.
- 83 per cent of members surveyed reported they were able to advance projects in development by attending the Congress.
- The annual What’s the Buzz? session was delivered to an at-capacity room by Caroline Behar (France 5/France Télévisions) and Tom Brisley (Arrow Media). Produced in collaboration with Arrow Media.
- 104 projects from a total of 51 different producers applied for Speed Dating.
- Eighteen intimate Close Encounters sessions were scheduled over three days, providing key industry knowledge during closed-door meetings for up to 22 members at a time.
- The Emerging Producers Bursary Program, GZDOC and CNEX Bursary Programs, and the Wellcome Trust Mentoring Program for Emerging Talent provided 12 emerging producers with attendance and travel support, as well as networking and mentorship opportunities.
Of all the gatherings of TV people throughout the year, Congress feels the friendliest. It's stimulating but supportive, small enough to allow proper conversations but broad enough in its reach to give you a new perspective on your own patch. And I always leave full of new ideas.— John Hay, Head of Specialist Factual, Channel 4
Ah, Congress. You have captured a place in my heart! Every year I juggle my daft diary to allow time for you, to see you in your stunning new location, to bathe in your sea of grand ideas alongside the clever folks who are also drawn to you. You are a splendid creation, a crafty mix of business and pleasure, challenge and inspiration. No matter my role you bring gifts, including friendships most prized. Thank you, dear Congress. I shall see you soon.— Sonya Pemberton, Creative Director, Genepool Productions
Science Congress is a great opportunity to meet the world’s factual producers and broadcasters, and get the true story out of them like nowhere else!— Thomas Viner, Creative Director, Pioneer
The WCSP is always a mark in my time line. A strategic moment, a great opportunity to discover the trends of the year on an international scale, and have some passionate discussions with colleagues and international broadcasters. Can't wait for the next one!— Alexandre Soullier, Producer, Bonne Pioche Television
WCSFP is simply the best, cutting-edge, ultimate, extraordinary, top notch, outstanding, ground-breaking, trend-setting, expert-driven factual congress in the world. I can’t wait to see all friends and peers again to set up for our pre-x-mas family style binge-watching meeting. No way to miss the buzz and fun out there every year.— Ralf Rückauer, Vice President ZDFE.factual, ZDF Enterprises GmbH
I had been told by my Chinese friends about the fascinating Congress sessions and that was what profoundly impressed me during the Hong Kong edition. The themes of advancing with the times, the experts and producers who really focused on them, the engrossing debate and comprehensive exchange at social events, all made me enjoy the veritably family atmosphere of Congress.— Mike Ning, Content Operation Director, GZDOC